Monday, March 26, 2007

Schott, Fadiman, and the New York Times Book Review

Like many people, I, Miss Edith, read Ben Schott's little essay in the New York Times Book Review about how to handle a book, and was struck immediately by what a rip-off it was of Anne Fadiman's lovely essay on the same subject, which any reader worth his/her salt oughta know is in Ex Libris. I'd always admired Schott's work, but his essay alarmed and annoyed me.
I said to the Most Ethical Man in the World, "This is bullshit," or something to that effect. Frankly, I was pissed at Schott for copying, and pissed and dismayed by the NYTBR's lack of awareness. I couldn't believe that no one had caught this problem and that the essay had actually gone to print.
Well, so, this past weekend, they printed an apology. Schott claims he didn't know a thing about Fadiman's essay -- which is possible, if depressing; I feel that any serious bookman ought to have that book basically memorized -- but what's just cosmically appalling is that no one on the NYTBR staff saw this and noticed the problem right away. The apology even says that no one on the staff was familiar with the essay.
Basically, my feeling is that for that reason alone, every person on the staff of the New York Times Book Review should be fired, or at least have their paychecks withheld until they can recite the opening sentences of each essay, from memory, when awaked at four in the morning. No coffee allowed.
Edith is disgusted, and she's not going to forget this soon.

No comments: