Monday, April 23, 2007

The Man Who Was Too Tan

This isn’t really one of my usual things to gripe about, and it’s not that serious a gripe, but does anyone else find it wrong that Jude Law, who is English, is always so tanned? The other night The Most Ethical Man in the World and I were flung across pieces of furniture here at the house, sprawling on lovely upholstered things, eating a rather sloppy supper of chili with rice and guacamole, and we entertained ourselves by watching “The Holiday,” newly released on DVD. The movie stars Cameron Diaz (she’s all right), Kate Winslet (ok), Jack Black (very toned down), and Jude Law (on whom I’ve never had much of an opinion one way or another). (Bet you didn’t think it was possible for me to not have an opinion, didn’t you? Ha ha, fooled you.) I’d had high hopes for this flick, since the director’s previous venture out was “Something’s Gotta Give,” which I enjoyed thoroughly.
Well, “The Holiday” was all right, but not exceptional or even particularly interesting. An ok way to kill a couple hours. Ethical Man seemed to enjoy it a little more than I did, actually, though at one point he seemed a little aggravated. “What,” I asked him.
“The thing about Jude Law,” he said. “It’s always like [envision a young Gary Cooper-type giving you the Look, combined with a British-accented come hither-sly voice – that’s Ethical Man, who’s good at accents], ‘Come on, I’ll show you my tanning booth.’ “
Jude Law: not Gary Cooper. Not Cary Grant. And definitely not The Most Ethical Man in the World.

No comments: