Saturday, October 06, 2007

The Joys of Joanna Lumley, Rediscovered

To any English readers, this is going to seem extremely silly, but Americans might find the following novel.

Some years ago I worked in a bookshop which, when it finally went online, used AOL for email. For reasons completely beyond me, when the owner of the store decided to load one of those free AOL disks into the computer (these used to come in the mail at least once a week, or so it seemed), he ended up loading a UK or possibly Canadian version of AOL. This was nearly identical to the version I was accustomed to -- Miss Edith still maintains an AOL account, thank you very much -- but there was one amazing difference. Instead of a bland male voice saying, "You've got mail!" one was treated to a lush English woman's voice stating calmly yet seductively, "You've got post."

I cannot tell you how this entertained me. Notarius found it a joy beyond compare (he still brings it up from time to time). And I never thought to wonder who the female speaker was, but -- now it's come into my head -- it's the incomparable Joanna Lumley. And even better, some besotted schlub has created a link so that even us Yanks can, with little effort, and without searching for UK AOL, go here and click on this gent's link. (Not to make this sound any dirtier than it really is...)

No comments: